Reporting to the President, this is a hands-on role responsible for overseeing the Research & Development, Technical Support, Product Quality, and Field Service roles that support the design, specification, quality standards, and production of our products.
The Technical Manager will play a key role in the design and development of new products, as well as improvements to existing products. He/she will project manage all New Product Development (NPD) initiatives and ensure compliance with the organization’s NPD process.
- Lead and provide coaching and project management support, to Research & Development, Technical Support, Field Service and Quality teams
- Collaborate with a wide variety of functional areas incl. marketing, sales and customer service on New Product Development (NPD) initiatives, in response to customer needs and market opportunities
- Manage evaluation of proposed design specification change requests for existing products (from internal and external stakeholders), and ensure that evaluation, documentation and implementation occur within established NPD processes
- Coordinate review activities with various other departments as needed, to ensure new design specifications are effectively communicated, assessed and verified prior to implementation into production
- Oversee the quality control and issue resolution process in the production and assembly departments
- Support customer service team, as needed, in resolving escalated service issues, including those related to in-field technical performance issues, and analyzing service data as it relates to quality control, etc.
- Oversee inspection activities in cooperation with various other departments as needed (e.g. quality control, purchasing, and production) to ensure resolution of product-related issues
- Develop strong relationships with and maintain open lines of communication with the technical teams of various vendors from time to time as instructed
- Manage department budget and perform capital expenditure analysis
- Collaborate with technical teams from other group companies to analyze processes and propose improvements to further efficiencies and shared objectives
- Operate in alignment with the mission and vision of P.L. Light Systems and its established processes and procedures, performing all duties in a timely and professional manner
- Adhere to the PL Light Systems Code of Conduct for workplace decorum
- Perform other duties and assist in special projects as necessary
A Post secondary diploma or degree is required in a technical discipline such as electrical / electronics / mechanical
- Minimum 5 years of management and technical experience
- Knowledge in the horticultural industry and/or lighting industry is an asset
Technical / Behavioral Skills
- Exceptional Project Management skills and experience, with the ability to influence cross functional and supplier teams to perform against scope, schedule, and budget milestones
- Strong process orientation with experience in process development and improvement
- Solid judgment and decision-making skills
- Good knowledge and/or understanding of National Electrical Code, electrical principles and electrical diagrams
- Manufacturing level trouble-shooting capabilities from an electrical perspective on fixture manufacturing
- Experience in product development within a manufacturing environment (ideally in the lighting/electronics industry)
- Ability to interface on a technical level with customers, electricians, design engineers and electrical governing bodies (CSA,ESA,UL)
- 3D CAD drafting experience
- Positive attitude, non-confrontational personality
- Proficient with MS Office Applications
If you are looking for a new professional challenge, please send your customized resume to email@example.com for immediate consideration. We want to thank all applicants, in advance, for their interest. Note: only qualified applicants under consideration will be contacted.